Yahya Abdul-Mateen II says Wonder Man was canceled over âviewership numbersâ
The actor believes âWonder Manâ deserves âsome study and some real, hard information about why a show like this did not continue forward, because it had all of the ingredients that one would want in a show.â
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II says* Wonder Man *was canceled over âviewership numbersâ
The actor believes âWonder Manâ deserves âsome study and some real, hard information about why a show like this did not continue forward, because it had all of the ingredients that one would want in a show.â
By Emlyn Travis
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Emlyn-Travis-author-photo-cba6765b433b4f93b9398d18053153b1.jpg)
Emlyn Travis
Emlyn Travis is a news writer at **. She has been working at EW since 2022. Her work has previously appeared on MTV News, Teen Vogue, and NME.
EW's editorial guidelines
August 20, 2026 2:26 p.m. ET
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Yahya-Adbul-Mateen-II-wonder-man-082026-780e38e0e87e4d78907c74bb019c7ace.jpg)
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II on âWonder Manâ. Credit:
Courtesy of Marvel Television
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is revealing the reason he was told *Wonder Man* season 2 was canceled.
- The Marvel series was previously greenlit for a second season in March.
- However, that decision was ultimately reversed in July.
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is sharing the surprising reason why *Wonder Manâ*s season 2 renewal was ultimately reversed.
The actor, who played Simon Williams on the Emmy-nominated Marvel series, revealed that he was informed that the decision to cancel *Wonder Man *came down to its overall viewership.
âI was told that it had something to do with the viewership numbers,â Abdul-Mateen told *Vanity Fair*. âI wasnât told what those numbers were, but ultimately, for whatever reason it was, I think they decided that it didnât make sense for business, and thatâs the decision that we live with and we keep on marching forward.â
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Yahya-Adbul-Mateen-II-Stephen-Broussard-Louis-DEsposito-Destin-Daniel-Cretton-Andrew-Grant-Sir-Ben-Kingsley-Zlatko-Buric-Brad-Winderbaum-Brian-Gay-082026-2f8f4bc19e004b32801fdef42b37f370.jpg)
The cast and creatives of âWonder Manâ.
Jesse Grant/Getty
The news comes as a bit of a surprise, considering Marvel and Disney+ likely knew its viewership numbers when they initially greenlit the series for a second season in March. In an Aug. 3 video, *Wonder Man* co-creator Andrew Guest revealed that the showâs numbers hadnât really been shared with him.
While speaking with* Vanity Fair*, Abdul-Mateen was asked if he felt there was a problem with âwhat is and isnât being greenlit or supportedâ at Disney and Marvel following *Wonder Manâ*s cancellation and the continued delays surrounding the *Blade* film, which recently lost its lead Mahershala Ali. âI think the optics are obvious,â he replied. âIf Iâm a big business, if Iâm Disney, if Iâm Marvel, I donât want to be attached to these optics.â
Every TV show canceled so far in 2026, from 'Brilliant Minds' to 'The Boroughs'
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/The-Late-Show-with-Stephen-Colbert-Chace-Crawford-Gen-V-LAW-AND-ORDER-ORGANIZED-CRIME-christopher-meloni-051126-40400c52f09e436d9d8a046bfd23dc09.jpg)
Kevin Feige feels like a âgigantic loser and failureâ after failed Mahershala Ali-led âBladeâ reboot
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Kevin-Feige-CinemaCon-2024-Mahershala-Ali-DGA-Theater-Complex-2021-072026-3274b16d9fac428dac408e1466f718bd.jpg)
Abdul-Mateen emphasized that it should be Marvel and the streamerâs âpriority to change the narrativeâ surrounding their ongoing projects and to foster even more âquality storiesâ created with âquality resourcesâ at hand.
âI felt that our show did have quality story, did have quality resources, did have quality actors and people, and did produce quality results that the viewers responded to positively, that the voters responded to positively,â he continued. âSo our show does deserve some study and some real, hard information about why a show like this did not continue forward, because it had all of the ingredients that one would want in a show.â
In general, Abdul-Mateen explained that he wasnât too familiar with how the second season of *Wonder Man *wouldâve unfolded, but still âhad my hopes and my dreams about where I wanted the character to goâ in the next installment.
***Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our ******EW Dispatch newsletter******.***
âI was very interested in telling the story of Simon, who we watched pursue everything heâs always wanted. And then I think, for me, the interesting question to explore is: Well, what are you going to do when you finally get it?â he said. âWhat do you do when you finally get everything that youâve always wanted? And for a guy like Simon to get fame and notoriety and a little bit of power, he has a big heart, but he also has an ego. He also wants to be a star.â
In his video released earlier this month, Guest revealed that *Wonder Man*âs season 2 contracts had already been signed, schedules had been cleared, and the writersâ room was set to reconvene this month before the series was canceled. âProduction was supposed to begin early next year and there was a decision made internally between Disney and Marvel that this didnât make sense for them even though a few months ago it did,â he said. âAnd thatâs, essentially, all I really know.â
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc()/Wonder-Man-080326-1-acae4aa49d064ff4a96636eb18737cbd.jpg)
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II on âWonder Manâ.
Suzanne Tenner/Marvel
Guest also noted that he appreciated fans taking to social media to express their disappointment about the showâs shuttering. âI think thereâs important conversations being had online about the kind of stories that weâre prioritizing,â he said. âAnd the kind of shows platforms want to make. I hope people are listening.â
Created by Guest and Destin Daniel Cretton (*Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings, Spider-Man: Brand New Day*), *Wonder Man* followed aspiring actor Simon (Abdul-Mateen) and Trevor Slattery (Sir Ben Kingsley), the latter of whom previously appeared in *Iron Man 3* and Crettonâs *Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.* It also starred Olivia Thirlby, X Mayo, Arian Moayed, and more.
Speaking with* * in January, Kingsley confirmed that they âof courseâ wanted to create a second season of *Wonder Man*. âIt would be dishonest to say, âOoooh, I donât know. Letâs wait.â Of course we do,â he said at the time. âIâll say it to the world.â
- Film Worlds & Fandoms
- Marvel Universe
Source: âEW Marvelâ